Open navigation

Can I pay using centrepay?

You can set up regular payments automatically from your CentrePay account. 

By doing this, it means that payments for your utility account are made prior to you receiving your Centrepay payments so you do not have to worry about covering your utility usage costs after you receive your fortnightly payments. 

You will need to do this yourself through your CentrePay account and Services Australia.

This can be set it up in any one of the following ways:

  • online using your Centrelink online account through myGov
  • using the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app on your mobile device
  • at a Centrelink service centre with help from Services Australia staff 
  • by calling Services Australia on your regular payment number.

Further information regarding CentrePay can be found through the following link:

In order to set this up you will need:

  • Your Centrelink Customer Reference Number
  • Your Energy On utility account billing details – these are: 
    • Biller Code 778100 
    • Ten Digit Reference Number (found under the BPay section of your invoice) 
    • Details for Energy On: Energy On Pty Ltd, PO BOX 2624, Mt Waverley VIC 3149, 1300 323 263 
  • Energy On Business CRN – this is 555-085-851-H

If you are unsure about any of the above, please don't hesitate to get in touch with us.

Did you find it helpful? Yes No

Send feedback
Sorry we couldn't be helpful. Help us improve this article with your feedback.