Open navigation

Deceased Customer/Account

Deceased Customers - Changing and Closing Accounts

If you are managing a deceased customer’s estate, then this may be a difficult time for you. Energy On is here to help as best we can during this time.


Who is authorised to make changes to a utility account?

To make changes to an Energy On Utility Account on behalf of the deceased customer, you must fall into one of the following categories:

  1. Primary or Joint Account Holder: If you are listed as the primary or joint account holder, you have the authority to act already. As an authorised representative, you can make changes or close the account.
  2. Authorised Representative: If you are listed as an authorised representative on a deceased customer's account, you are eligible to initiate the required changes to or close the account.

If you are not currently listed as a Primary/Joint Account Holder or authorised representative, you will likely need to fall into one of the categories listed below:

  1. Executor of the Deceased's Estate: If you have been appointed as the executor of the deceased's estate, you have the legal authority to manage their affairs. This includes making changes to or closing their account. Your role as the executor grants you the necessary authorisation to act on their behalf.
  2. Deceased's Solicitor: In some cases, the deceased may have designated a solicitor to handle their legal matters. If you are the deceased's solicitor, you are authorised to make changes to their account and power supply. 
  3. Trustee or Business Partner of the Deceased: If you are a trustee or a business partner of the deceased, you hold the authority to act on their behalf. As an authorised representative, you are eligible to initiate the required changes to or close the account.


Supporting Documentation

Providing written evidence will help expedite the process to make changes to or close a utility account.

The following types of documents are deemed acceptable when establishing your authority:

  • A copy of the deceased's will, clearly indicating your role as the executor or authorised representative.
  • A letter of authorisation from the deceased's solicitor, confirming your status as an authorised representative.
  • Legal documentation, such as a power of attorney or trust agreement, demonstrating your authority as a trustee or business partner.


How to Get Authorised

If you need to make changes to the account and power supply of a deceased customer, it's important to follow the proper authorisation process. This article outlines some of the steps that can be required to ensure a smooth transition and provide the necessary information for authorisation, if you are unsure - you may need to consult a solicitor.

Did you find it helpful? Yes No

Send feedback
Sorry we couldn't be helpful. Help us improve this article with your feedback.